Sunday, October 17, 2010

Why blogs are better then Facebook updates

That was probably the main reason I gave up on the Facebook in the first place.
The updates remind me of a highschool popularity contest, likes, comments,
but the worst was only getting a snip it of a story. One line. Then your expected to guess what on earth is being talked about.
Example:
***** : shouldn't have eaten that chicken salad
From there you need to figure out why
  • is she allergic to chicken? 
  • did she tempt fate by eating some leftovers out of the fridge that should have been thrown out last week?
  • has she broken some weight watchers rule by lapping up all that mayonaise?
  • did the chicken salad have onions in it giving her bad breath for the rest of the afternoon?
  • is she still pulling celery strings out of her teeth?

What happened?
and you know the first comment will be asking just that. and usually by the time I see this update there are at least 30 comments , some from the salad victim slowly explaining the story, one line at a time, the rest mostly from people I have never heard of, relating sympathies or similar stories
I hate to find out what happens this way, it seems so choppy, detailed and impersonal.

Example 2:
*******: Finally got the job!
and my thought chain looks like this:
  • I thought she had a job
  • I guess I am happy about the new job
  • what happened to the old job
  • I thought she liked the old job
  • what is the new job
now because I am not on Facebook all day, everyday, I miss a lot of updates and so I might not understand what is going on, but I would like to know. I can try looking on the profile page to get more of the story that must have been going on for more then the last 10 minutes. There must have been more there at some piont, but the profile is so cluttered with crap, comments, applications, writings, that I could have to did around, looking at older and older posts just to find out what happened in the last few days, and I might never do it that way. Better to call.

Now why blogs are better:
  • More words, you can explain yourself, give a clear picture and someone who cares can understand what is going on.
  • You dont need likes.
  • Blogs are organized, they have archives that are easy to navigate, labels and a search function - you can find anything.  And so can anyone else, that wants too.
  • You don't have to declare someone your friend to show an interest in them, or them in you. You can read about someone just because you are interested.

I know I might be a little biased, I love reading, a lot and even about people I do not know so well.  You can not get that out of Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I'm really fed-up with Facebook. It does serve good purpose as a poster board for announcements, ads or petitioning.
    I admire your persistence with the blog. Wish I could keep up with mine:
    Inga's own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is good for events, but if you get a blog you will have to let me know. I would be a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete