Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Home Sick

Spent far to much of today crying.
Winter is coming, it is getting dark, windy rainy and generally discusting.
At the boys birthday parties last week I realized how lonely I am out here, at the very least I need my sister. No one should have to go years and years with out having coffee with a sister.
I always wanted the boys to have a great family, a huge great family, and they do, but they are all over the place and it makes me sad.
And my brothers, dont get me started, they are all grown up, 2 are engaged now with babies on the way.
Thats the order we do things in our family, get a baby then get married. I suspect this might not be the same in other families, but it works for us.
Imagine all these additions to our family, more cousins for the boys, sister in laws for me, and I have not met either of them before.
My cousins are having babies, it's an epidemic. 
Even my Dad had some amazing news for me, wedding bells in his future, amazing.
There is so much great news, and I really am so happy for everyone, and I miss you all so so much.
And thanks to my friends for the helpful suggestions.
One friend suggested a small bank fraud to take a 6 month holiday in Canada, while another suggested packing our backpacks and making a run for it, this country is getting more backwards all the time.
I am not actually going to do either, but have become more determined then ever to find a way to be closer with my family across the ocean.

2 comments:

  1. I feel for you. I spent five years away from my family after I first left home. You've probably heard me say all of this before, but there were no computers, international phone calls were so expensive that they were out of the question...and here I was on the other side of the World. To top it all, no one spoke my language - and I had a Kiwi accent by the time I returned.
    Iceland-Canada was a better arrangement. At least there was only one ocean and no continent in between.
    I often wish we lived closer to each other. Perhaps we could meet for coffee then. We swigged a few cups a week back in Edmonton, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inga, you are a super hero and I still don't know how you did it and I am always telling Davíð how much I enjoyed our coffee and chat days in Edmonton. Maybe I should be telling you instead.
    I think we should just find a way to have coffee more!

    ReplyDelete