Monday, June 28, 2010

In The Mail

Depending on what country you are in, hearing that something is in the mail can bring about a variety of feelings.
Living in Iceland, I spend a lot of time wondering about what goes on at the post office.
First of all, I do get the odd care package from home, and how long it takes to get to me is always a gamble. Should it be sent the slow way or the super expensive kinda quick way? The reasonably priced, but super slow way, can, at times, arrive when they say it will. Sometimes it takes months longer then they say it will. Never know, but it is almost a guarantee that if it is a Christmas present, no matter when it was sent, it will arrive around New Years.
Now parcels have some sort of insurance, and I am expecting them, so I have a feeling that the post office puts a little more effort into them, but postcards....
Everyone knows I am involved in postcrossing, (trading random cards with strangers around the world) but whatnot everyone knows is how long it takes most of these cards to get to me.
The other day I received a card, the came from the U.S., that had been traveling for 214 days, another one from the same country took almost a year at 361 days. And supposedly these were traveling air mail!
Other great examples include one from Canada at 71 days, Netherlands at 52 days, U.K. AT 50 OR Finland at 45, again all sent by Air Mail.
Now should I blame every other country for the slow slow mail, or maybe should I question the quality of the Icelandic Post?
Well I think that is enough complaining from me for the day, but it is something to think about while I wait for a parcel sent from my friend Janielle, from Canada, months ago.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:37 PM

    I hope that you recieve that parcel sooner than later. I think that we should blame all the post offices in the world!! And thats my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete