Wednesday, December 09, 2009

the pop bottle question

I have never been very good at taking in my bottles.

In Edmonton we used to leave them on the side of the road for the bottle collectors. They came around daily so I never had to worry about them.

In Reykjavík a sweet little old Chinese woman collected bottles. She was in my neighborhood on Mondays and we got very good at catching each other. So I saved all my bottles until Monday then gave them away.

In Þórshöfn the depot was within walking distance so the kids would take them in for a little candy money.

Here in Ásbrú, none of these options are available to me and I don't know what to do.

I do not drive and I am not interested in dragging huge black garbage bags on the bus, with a few kids, for an hour, to get a few thousand kr., not even enough to buy a pizza.

I guess no one is poor enough around here to be bothered to collect them.

So much for the kreppa.

I would feel like a bad person throwing them in the garbage. Killing the environment and wasting money....

This is a serious pickle and until I find an answer my storage room will only get fuller and fuller, perhaps even start to overflow.

Maybe if you are taking in your bottles and want to stop by, you can have mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment