Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tough Choice

You know my boys Kasper and Stefán.

Well Kasper is practically 9 and now goes to  Scouts on Wednesdays and Taekwondoe on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.  I know this seems like a very busy schedule and normally I do not think that is good for kids, but Kasper is Kasper. He really needs constant entertainment. These activities really just give me an hour to make super without him and the baby asking for things.

Stefán just turned 6 and is the opposite. He is not in any extra activities yet, although we have thought about things he would like. But, he really just seems to busy. From the time he finishes school everyday, until the time we drag him in for dinner he is busy, playing.  He really is always busy, either out with friends or sometimes even playing at home alone, but always up to something.  (This makes him a dream to babysit, just leave some food on the table from time to time)

So this is the problem, do I sign him up for something organized and give him some sport or organized play, or do I leave him alone? I really like how he can amuse himself right now and would hate for him to lose that skill but he is at the age that everyone else is starting something.

What to do? What to do?

I really have no idea, and might just leave the decision making until next semester. After all, he did just start school and move back across the country, maybe that is enough big lifestyle changes for one term.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you're right, maybe you should wait a bit, but then it is a good time to start him soon on something that he would like doing, like soccer or some martial arts, maybe not as often as Kasper, once or twice a week. Vic started break dance once a week, then we added soccer and that is 4 times a week. I don't think he was ready for that at the age of 6 though. Don't worry, he will not grow out of playing alone. He's just this kind of a boy, as long as you don't let him get sucked into the computer/tv world that tends to ruin it all... Victor is whining too much about the PS sometimes so I am thankful for his interest in football as it gives a good balance.
    I'm glad that Kasper gets to do all those extra activities. As you see each of them has different needs and you are totally right to consider that. You're one of my top hero moms !!!

    ReplyDelete