Monday, November 05, 2007

Parent Teacher Meetings

My Apologies, I have not written in ages. It is not that I have had nothing to say, I have just been so busy and working like a maniac.

And the news:

We went to Kasper's parent teacher interviews on Thursday. I admit I went in looking for a fight because this teacher and I have gotten off on the wrong foot. The interview started out badly with her refusing to speak English and telling Davíð that I had the right to have a translator there. i think she was just being difficult, but she says her English is not that good. Davíð kept me up on most of it.

Kasper is doing very well and keeping up with the other kids this year. He is making friends but still gets frustrated when he can not express himself and others do not understand him, although his Icelandic is coming along very well.

Kasper has also been very well raised (his teacher said so!), I am proud, because he always listens and if he does misbehave, he stops when he is told to.

They also want to put him a year ahead next year so that he will be the same age (the youngest in the class as opposed to the oldest). The school is very concerned that he will be teased as a teenager. The school also admits he might not be academically ready to skip a grade, but the possibilities of teasing worries them.

Personally I do not think some potential teasing is good enough reason to push him ahead. He would be under so much stress and I Think he could be teased anyways if he is always doing poorly in school because they insisted on throwing him up a grade when he was not ready. I think he should just go to grade 2 next year, with his current classmates, after all, he is only the oldest kid by 2 months.

I think a good base education is more important then some teasing, besides, we can always cross that bridge when we get to it.

To sum things up: Kasper is doing great. His reading is really coming along. His math is good and he is a great helper in English lessons.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:45 AM

    It's great that Kasper is doing so well. :) I agree with you. The 'possibility' of teasing is not a great reason to push him into a situation where he is going to be frustrated and stressed trying to keep up. Perhaps later, when he has a bit more under his belt, he might be ready to skip, but if he's happy now and doing well, I wouldn't rock the boat. But that's just one opinion among many. I just want him to be happy and healthy. No reason to borrow trouble. ;)

    ReplyDelete