Saturday, June 23, 2007

My lawn

It needs help, much more then I can ever offer it. But today I tried.

The boys and I worked on it for 2 hours today. We cut the grass, even in the corners and pulled weeds. Racked up and bagged a bunch of garbage.... if you were walking by, and did not look to closely you might be deceived into thinking this is real grass.

It is still juts miss, weeds and some dirt patch's, but it is all even now. I would be embarrassed, but when I look over the fences in my neighborhood I see that my yard is typical, maybe even better then some. So there is no use in complaining.

All this reminds me of the yard in Edmonton. We did not put a lot of effort into it, but it still looked better then this. That is not the point here, the point is this:

When the dandelions started to take over and the place would start to look like a jungle we would get threats from the city. We could fix the problems by such and such date, or they would take care of it for us at a large expense. This happened twice.

Once there was even some threatening letters from thew city about a pile of branches we ha in the back yard. Inga had been trimming the hedges and created a large pile of branches. Lucky for us, the day before the deadline to clean them up the power company was trimming branches 2 houses down. David dragged our branches over there and they shredded them for us.

In Edmonton people are not allowed to let there back yards get out of control. You are expected to keep the weeds in check and not have piles of things like branches hanging around. In Iceland no one expects anything from you when it comes to yard care. You do not have to rake your leaves, shovel your sidewalks, pull the weeds or even cut the grass. So most people, at least in my area, do not do any of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment