Saturday, May 19, 2007

Longer Days

It is easy to forget how fast the days are getting longer. When you sleep through the night you only assume that at some point it gets dark and stays that way until just before you wake up.

It is not getting dark now until later and later every night. This has caused me to stay up later and later every night. It is just easier to lose track of the time. Lately I find myself noticing that it is getting dark, which makes me start getting ready for bed, around midnight. It is still not really dark, just not totally light out.

Every morning, no mater what time I wake up, the sun is high in the sky.

A good example of the problems this can cause was shown this morning.

Stefan woke up demanding breakfast. I got up, thinking to myself that I would need a nap later because I still felt so tired, made him some toast and started coffee for myself. It was about twenty minutes later, when I turned on the computer, that I realized it was only four in the morning. I turned off the coffee maker, made Stefan abandon his toast and we went back to bed.

No wonder I felt so tired. I was more then happy to go back to bed for four more hours.

I checked on Yahoo! and it says that the official sunset is at 10:49 and sunrise at 4:02 but I no longer remember the last time I saw some real darkness.

And the days will only get longer....

This year I am incredibly grateful for this. After living in Iceland for a full year and experiencing the oppression of the winter darkness, I welcome the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment