Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentines Day

It is near the end of the day now and I have not seen any sign of Valentines Day.

Although it is not a traditional Icelandic holiday I was told that the government has recently recognized it, but I do not think that most people get it.

No one was eating chocolate, or had roses on there desk. No one was giving out treats.

I was a little disappointed.

I talked to people about it. They thought it was only between couples.

I told stories about when I was a kid. How we gave out cards to everyone in our class and got chocolate from our parents.

In junior high you could buy roses and chocolates though the school and have them delivered anonymously.

We used to buy them for our friends, it was great.

There was nothing like that today.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:31 AM

    Yeah, it's very disappointing to be in Iceland on Valentine's Day. Sigh.
    You should just give your 'honey' a nudge, letting him know that even though you live here now, you'd still appreciate a remembrance. It's what I have to do. My kids remember though. :) They're sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only like 10 years or so since I first heard anyone try to get people excited about Valintine's Day. I think it was the National Florist's Association or something - trying to beef up their business for the day.

    Then for a few years after that, I remember noticing an increased awareness of Valintine's Day, but now it seems to have waned again...

    ReplyDelete