Saturday, December 09, 2006

Christmas Baking: Trail 1

First Thank You to Marcia for bringing me a cupcake pan and giving me big pots with lids. These things were very much needed and went to good use. The only problem is that the boys took one look at the big pots and dragged them into their rooms to play 'cooking'. I had to steal them back when they were asleep.

The first thing I tried was the almond rocca. There was only one huge problem. I thought I bought a non stick pan that I needed, but then my husband read the label for me and it only looks like a baking pan. It is actually only a serving tray. It was a little late to find this out because I was already cooking the stuff. So I used an oven shelf instead. This is not ideal and I will have to buy a real non stick pan on Monday. The almond rocca also separated. I tried to get ride of the extra butter but there was just to much. It must have tasted fine because Davið ate the entire tray full last night.

The butter tarts seemed more promising. I started them. I had to make cute out all the little circles out of dough to makes tarts, that was a huge hassle. I burnt the filling a little. When I was putting it into the oven it looked fine. When I checked on it I learned something, I guess both the filling and the dough expand. What a mess! They ended up tasting OK too. Davið ate 8 of the 12 last night.

I ended up making banana bread today just to remind myself I can bake something. It turned out fine.

So it was a good thing there was a trial run. This gives me some time to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment