Friday, September 08, 2006

A new day

Lets call today be nice to a foreigner day. I would like to call this holiday to recognize how rude some people are.

There are certain parents at the school that think there children should not have to be watched by foreigner. Even worse, ones that can not speak the language. One man in particular has made a point of being very rude to Agata (a co-worker from Poland) and I everyday.

It is true, I was not born in Iceland and after 3 month's I still do not know a lot of Icelandic, but I am still a good person.

This is why I think that everyone I know should make an effort to be nice to someone today. Maybe a smile for a cab driver or Max store clerk. I know there is the same problems in Canada and I can tell you it is not nice at all to be on the other end of it.

It is not easy to learn another language and adjust to a culture change. It does not make it any easier when people treat you badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment