Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Laundry in Iceland

How wrong I have been to assume that everything would be in English. At least on things you need. Like a washing machine. I can not tell what the cycles are. Kristina showed me one that would work for most things, so I am using that but I have no idea about the rest of the buttons. I also shrunk one of Kristina's shirts, thinking this cycle worked for everything. I might need to start bringing the English - Icelandic dictionary with me down to the laundry room.

I do not understand how a country with 300,000 people can have appliances in there own language.

I do not know why but for some reason no one uses a dryer. I have been told that it is so windy that it takes no time for clothing to dry on a line outside. I can see how this would be true, but it rains almost everyday. I have only seen 2 days in almost 3 weeks where it did not rain. Most people actually hang the clothing on lines in the basement of apartment buildings. It does not dry that fast either, it still takes almost a whole day for your clothing to be dry. This really slows down the laundry process. Just hanging up each article takes long enough, then a day of drying.

This will take some getting used to. It is now important to not wait until you have nothing to wear to start the laundry, you need to plan well in advance.

The crunchy towels are something I could do with out. In fact, everything is a little crunchy. The towels are the worst though. It is so cruel to have a nice relaxing hot bath and when you get out try to dry off with a large piece of sandpaper.

Although this is not a favorite characteristic of Iceland it does remind me of my dads house.
My dad has the worst dryer in the world and he often hangs his stuff to dry. When I lived with him I would dry my clothing anyways, even if it took 5 hours, my towel would be soft. When I have went to visit I have survived with the towels that scrape your skin, but never liked it.

Maybe I will look around for some fabric softener, if I can read the label!

No comments:

Post a Comment