Sunday, July 16, 2006

Application In

On Friday I finally put in my application for a residence permit. Almost everything I needed was ready. I am still waiting for the criminal record check but that I am expecting anytime.

So, I went in Friday with my application. I stand in line. When it is my turn I go to the desk to hand in my application. I hand her the stuff. Application filled out, check. Certified Marriage Certificate, check. Medical Insurance certificate, check. Receipt for paid medical insurance costing 11 000 kr, check. Passport size photo, check. Criminal record check, on the way I told her. She said that was no problem because the process takes about 3 month's anyways. I mentioned that it said 6 weeks on the form, but I guess that is only if you are very very lucky. Then she asked for the photo copy of my passport...

I did not have one. I brought my passport and said that I did not own a photocopier but asked if she could photocopy it for me. She said no, that would not be possible because they are not allowed to touch the passports themselves. I was worried for a moment, but then she told me the desks across the hall could photo copy it for me.

I walked across the hall and got myself into line. When it was my turn I explained how I only needed a photocopy of my passport for my application. The women behind the desk said no problem and went to photocopy it. When he returned she handed me my passport and a stamped photocopy of my passport. I was then told that it cost 1,350 kr. For a copy? Yes. I paid it and went back across the hall.

I handed the photocopy to the lady who was helping me originally and she asked me why I had the paper stamped. I told her I did not know, that was just what they gave me. I thought it was what I needed. She said it was to bad that I wasted money like that, a regular photocopy would have been fine but they had made it official for me and charged me for that. She said I should go back and complain, but I just wanted to finish this and leave. Next she tells me that she needs 8,000 kr to file the application.

8,000 is a lot of money, certainly more then you would carry around. I thought ok, I will put it on debit. My debit would not work there. OK, OK, I will just put it on my visa and hope it goes through. Oh but they do not take Visa. I do not know how they can charge so much money and expect people to have the cash on them for that. It is not like on the list of things you need to bring it even mentioned money. I wanted to come back and pay it and that would be ok but she gave me back all my papers because they can not take anything until it is paid for.

So, I went to a bank machine, took the last of the money from my account and went and paid to file my papers.

What and expense and headache. Later that day I find out Kristina´s printer can also be used as a photocopier. I live with Kristina!

I will have to start saving money to put in Kasper´s application.

No comments:

Post a Comment